Monday, May 28, 2012

Social Thinking and Pragmatics

Today was my first day at my new internship at a pediatric private practice.  I am looking forward to all of the learning that is to come this summer as I go from 2 clients to 13 :)  One of the sessions I sat in on today had some great tools that I wanted to share with all of you.  The client was working on social thinking and pragmatics (diagnosed with Asperger's) and the SLP I am working with used a wonderful book that I was unfamiliar with.  It's by Michelle Garcia Winner and is called You are a Social Detective! 


This book was great because it teaches kids pragmatics in language that they can understand.  The book talks about what is "expected" of them and what is "unexpected" and you can spend time asking the kiddo what types of actions, language or situations are expected or unexpected.  This type of language can be helpful for carryover in the home so that parent's can help to address these concepts later at home.  This is definitely going on my wish list!  Another neat tool that the SLP I am working with used was called Custom Boards found on the iTunes store.
She used this to make personalized social stories for her client.  I am also putting this app on my wish list for later, because it could be useful for a multitude of speech goals!  What do you all use to target social thinking and pragmatics? Have you found Michelle Winner's books or materials to be helpful?

No comments:

Post a Comment